Monday, August 10, 2009

Mad About Mad Men


Mad as in pissed, although to be clear, it's not Mad Men I am angry with, it's DirecTV. Last year I was pumped to watch Season 2 of Mad Men when it premiered on AMC, I had just finished watching the first season on DVD and was hooked. Set up the Tivo for a season pass, got comfy on the couch and whisky glass in hand, pressed play. About five minutes into the first episode I realized I would not be watching the rest, at least not for a while. Anyone who has an HDTV will understand what I mean when I say that watching non-HD programming on an HDTV is like watching crap flung on a wall. The picture is fuzzy and the colors are not true and with a beautifully shot show like Mad Men it makes you feel like you might as well be watching a blind mime doing an interpretive re-enactment of the episode because it would probably look better.

Realizing that AMC did not yet broadcast in HD was a bummer, but the hubby and I decided we would simply wait for the DVD release and get caught up in time to watch season 3 live and in HD, because certainly by a years time that would indeed be a possibility. As it turns out, it is, only not for customers of DirecTV who as of now have not yet picked up the AMC HD channel. Knowing I would again be relegated to waiting to watch the new season on DVD, I wasn't in a mad rush (pun intended) to get caught up on season two, so we finally picked up the Blu-Ray this weekend and watched the first episode yesterday and, yes, it was worth the wait.

No comments: