Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Are you too old to superpoke?

Many factors, but most prominently the quickly impending day of my birth have got me wondering recently about outgrowing certain elements of our youth and how we know when that time has come. Not that twenty-eight is remotely "old" but it certainly is closer to the big three-zero than twenty-one. I have never considered myself an ahead of the curve hipster per say (hence the name of my blog, if you hadn't figured it out already), but I'd like to think I am fairly in touch with current pop culture, I blog, I have an iPhone and I watch the Daily Show. However, it seems lately that a lot of the things that once were a prominent part of my daily life I find I care less and less about and I have to wonder: is it because I am getting older?

Growing up in the MTV generation, it feels odd to outgrow my peer group's namesake, but MTV is just one of many things that I find no longer occupying the hemisphere of my general interests. In fact, television in general, something I literally grew up with, has recently become less relevant to my daily existence. I suppose it could be argued that, like our taste in food and drink, all our sensibilities in life are apt to change and "mature" over time, but for someone like myself, who has never really felt completely grown-up, knowing when that time to mature has come isn't always obvious. Facebook, for example like MTV, is certainly a youth oriented phenomenon and yet I don't feel out of place or compelled to shut down my account simply because I am one day closer to 30. How old is too old when it comes to social networking, is one of the questions raised in this Salon article.

All I know is if I hit 50 and I'm still super-poking, somebody please shoot me.

1 comment:

SanyuSays said...

You're not the only 1 off TV 28! I think that people who grew up on television post new-millennium have realized what a piece of crap the mediaworld has become. If I ever have kids, I wont let them touch modern cartoons with a 10 ft. pole! Still, there are a few gems still thriving on the loudbox.

Though, if you turn 30 and are still superpoking, it is just that someone reprimand you! Still, the way the US is working now, we might be in the stone age in 2 years anyway...