Monday, June 29, 2009

The Case Against Scandinavian Naivete

I have been reading bits and piece about the Salinger copyright lawsuit in the last few weeks, but it wasn't until I sat down to read this piece in Publisher's Weekly just now that I got the full gist of it. As the article explains Salinger is suing Swedish author Fredrik Colting for trying to publish an "unauthorized sequel" to The Catcher In The Rye. Colting claims it is not a sequel but instead a "stand-alone story that serves as a critique of Salinger and his work." Of course it is impossible to determine who is right in this argument without having read the actual work in question, and even if having read it, it seems deciding a case like this could be based on some rather subjective opinions of literature. As the article's author points out, more importantly than the legal matters at the heart of this trial, the really question everyone is waiting to hear answered is whether the notoriously reclusive Salinger will actually make a public appearance in order to defend the honor of his most prized creation:

"If Salinger refuses to answer the defense's questions, LiCalsi notes, the court can impose sanctions and even dismiss the case. Thus, filing suit against Colting may have put Salinger's desire for privacy on a collision course with his desire to protect Holden Caulfield."

Regardless of the outcome, my interest is certainly piqued in Colting's story and based on the short description, were it to be published I would certainly be interested in giving it a read. Not to mention, he seems genuinely wary of the media attention this has caused.

"Given Salinger's history, it seems almost unfathomable that any author would take on his work without at least spoiling for some kind of fight. Colting, however, is rather apologetic for possibly upsetting Salinger, and wary of the media attention his book has generated. “I guess I knew there would be interest,” he conceded. “But I can't say I knew or suspected any of this was going to happen. I'm from Sweden. People don't go around suing each other here. Maybe I was a little naïve.” "

Anyone who uses "I'm from Sweden" as their main defense tactic has certainly got my support.

No comments: