Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Twilight

Finally got around to watching Twilight this weekend and boy what a stinker. About ten minutes in, the hubby looked at me and said "This is kind of like The Lost Boys, but bad." And I had to agree, yet we carried on watching as one cringe worthy line was spoken after another. I kept hoping that Pattinson's deer-in-headlights look was just a fluke moment the first time and yet every other scene there it was again. All that coupled with ridiculously unnecessary voiceover, really, really poor casting and a director who clearly thought she was shooting a bad 80s music video and not a movie, made for a huge disappointment in my book.

The problem is I don't think the bad filmmaking was entirely at fault, and I hate to admit this, but I think some of the blame resets on the book itself. For example, much of the voiceover and cheesy dialogue was straight out of the book and while it may have worked on paper, it simply didn't translate well on screen. Rather than feeling nostalgic about the book as I watched, I was merely left wondering, wow was the book really this bad? I think this is a prime example of why sometimes a literal adaptation just doesn't work. With Harry Potter the books are action oriented and incredibly visual and so you can "see" the film as you are reading. A book like Twilight is so much more internal and thought driven that it really requires some effort to make it work, effort that sadly was not put forth in this attempt. My final verdict: if you haven't yet read or seen, skip the flick, stick with the book.

No comments: