Tuesday, November 24, 2009

What a bunch of boobs

While the government and news media continues to go to battle over the Obama healthcare plan, the health of the women in the US has suddenly been flung back into the dark ages. First the US Preventative Services Task Force (whatever the hell that is) changed the suggested age for mammograms from age 40 to 50, then the American College for Obstetrics and Gynecology has suggested that pap smears need not be given more often than every two years. While I don't have personal experience with mammograms and breast cancer I certainly know of women who have been diagnosed with breast cancer at a much younger age than 50, not to mention that fact that it is repeated time and time again that the main reason that breast cancer death rates have declined is due to early diagnosis. To the pap smears I can speak from a more personal place as I personally was a hair away from cervical cancer, and had I not had my annual pap smear it may not have been caught in time. I guess what I don't understand is why? Why discourage women from getting preventative care? To what, shave a minute or two off of the nanoseconds spent with each patient? To spare a minimal amount of discomfort? To somehow save money? I don't care what the reason is, it's not important enough to risk my life and so to the task force and to the college all I can say is you can take your suggestions and shove em.





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My grandmother died at 48 from breast cancer and my Aunt made it to 49 before she died of Breast cancer. So, 50 doesn't seem like a good age to START have mammograms.

Rader

Greg said...

obama-care rationing!

just kidding, i think.

sher58 said...

Wow, I'm sorry. It's ridiculous that they suggested waiting. I think preventative care is the thing that separates advanced society from third world countries so why are we trying to go backwards.

Greg- let's hope not,