Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

We've been watching a lot of movies over the holiday break thanks to Blockbuster-by-mail, some good, some great, some downright terrible. Here's my thoughts on a few:

Wallstreet-  Great film, and also very timely considering everything that's going on right now with the economy. I am becoming more and more impressed with Oliver Stone lately.

Stepbrothers-  Surprisingly funny, granted I was hungover on New Years Day watching this, but I really enjoyed it, especially compared to the piece of crap Talladega Nights. Definitely worth a watch, I guarantee at least a few laughs.

Hancock-  Crap. Pure crap. I really can't believe how bad this was. I really didn't think Will Smith could do a bad movie till now.

X-Files: I Want To Believe-  Made Hancock look like Citizen Cane. I just don't know why they bothered. It was terrible, it was like one of those weird X-Files episodes that had nothing to do with the greater mystery, an irrelevant one-off and a bad one at that.

Wall-E-  I saved the best for last. This is a truly beautiful film that everyone should see. I think I will have to bump Dark Knight down a notch on my favorites of 08 list, for Wall-E. 

We've also been rewatching Band of Brothers since the Bluray just came out. I am not typically a fan of war stuff, but this is a must-see and well-worth buying.

2 comments:

Eric A said...

Yay! Glad you liked Wall-e that much! I hope Up lives up it (no pun intended).

Oh, btw, I watched a couple episodes of True Blood on New Years Eve ... my God, what a terrible script and acting coming from the guy who gave us Six Feet under ... So bad, it's actually entertaining.

Happy New Year!

sher58 said...

It was so great, it had me in tears, I never knew a robot could seem so cuddly!

I love True Blood, so campy but I can't help it. It's definitely no Six Feet Under, that was only the best show on television ever.