Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Carousels and Unplanned Pregnancies

Just watched the season 1 finale of Mad Men last night and I was thoroughly impressed and at the same time disappointed. (**SPOILER ALERT**):  There were so many great moments I could go on and on, but in short I loved the way things were resolved with the Donald Draper/ Dick Whitmore storyline, and I thought Betty Draper's discovery of her husband's true "infidelity" with her therapist and her cunning behavior in the session thereafter were genius (I still can't help but wonder if this sort of thing really went on then, what the hell happened to doctor patient confidentiality?!), but the piece de resistance had to be Don Draper's emotional presentation to the Kodak people, I was literally tearing up as Draper pitched the ad campaign for the "Carousel". I never knew advertising could be so moving. 

There was only one disappointment but unfortunately it was a big one and it left me grateful that I don't have to wait an entire year to find out what happens next as I am hoping the writers will clean up the mess they made of Peggy's unexpected pregnancy storyline. How on earth is it possible to believe that Peggy was completely unaware that she was pregnant but on top of that she didn't even look remotely pregnant. I mean if my face and rear end started ballooning but no belly appeared I might believe I was just getting fat too, but I use that might very lightly. Granted Peggy has been characterized as innocent and naive but we have also seen the glimmer of the intellect that lies beneath. All that aside, quite frankly it doesn't take a genius to realize when you are 8 or 9 months pregnant (which I assume she must have been that far along by the looks of the baby she delivered). I have to admit that for a few episodes when the fatness first appeared I suspected it would result in Peggy's inevitable pregnancy, with the passage of time, however, I knew it was no longer possible as she would have had that moment of discovery, but apparently the writers thought differently. What I did think was smart about the pregnancy storyline was the timing, the rug was pulled out from under her right at the moment she should have been celebrating her new promotion, however I think it would have been a lot smarter if she had still been early on so at the very least it would appear believable that she was unaware, then she could have grappled with it for a while, trying to hide it from her coworkers and the obvious father. 

All in all I was left with a slight sense of disappointment in a ridiculous premise, but for the most part it was outweighed by the rest of the otherwise fantastic episode. I can't wait to start season 2!

No comments: