Thursday, August 28, 2008

For purple mountain majesties


Watching the Democratic National Convention these last few days has left me feeling energized and excited and for the first time in my life I am beginning to understand what it means to feel patriotic. Having experienced nothing but disappointments since coming of the voting age, I have been cooly observing the '08 race until this point, holding myself back from excitement out fear that Obama might lose (first the primary and then the main event) and continue my tenure of political disappointment. However, as I watched first Michelle, then Hillary and finally Joe Biden take the podium and give their genuinely inspiring speeches I couldn't help but feel the stirrings of something deep inside me, something along the lines of a mixture of hope and pride. Don't get me wrong, it's not as if I had an overnight transformation into a bumper sticker-quoting, button-wearing political optimist. I still understand the balancing act nature of the political game and that regardless of how perfect Obama may be, he is still, at the end of the day, a politician. Still as I gear up to watch his speech this evening I can't help feeling like I will be watching history unfolding, a history that for once I can be proud of.

No comments: