Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Watching history unfold

I can't stop smiling.

I was glued to the TV starting around 6pm last night, listening to the soothing sounds of Brian Williams' voice (somebody give this guy an award, he really is the best anchor on TV) and watching anxiously as the gray states turned blue and red. Despite my cold, I was ready to stay up all night waiting for the results and things were looking good when around 8pm they cut away to the local news feed. A few minutes later they cut back to the national feed and there on the screen was Obama's picture next to the words Barack Obama elected 44th President of the United States. I took me a whole minute to register what I was looking at, and once I understood I wholeheartedly believed the graphic was a mistake. In a panicked flashback to 2000 I thought they called it too early. What were they thinking?! But then they cut to the massive crowds in Chicago, zeroing in on the smiling, crying faces of so many proud Americans and as Brian Williams' comforting voice confirmed that it was in fact real, I knew it was okay to smile and I haven't stopped.

Now only one question remains, can he deliver? I think he can.

No comments: